Monday 6 June 2011

Pomegranates and pineapple

Now how about this scene for post modern urban architecture?
Leading to the back ally

Some of the fruit stands

Sunday ended nicely with a trip downtown with Audra. We found some pomegranates and some local pineapple (they are very small and very sweet!) and I invested in a decent knife to cut them with.

We also learned that fruit has two prices-- one for the locals and one for us. The man in front of us in line at one of the fruit stand was charged 20 rupees for a kilogram of pomegranates (about 50 cents). I was charged 120 rupees (about $2.50). I laughed thinking he was joking...but he was serious. And so were the next 6 or 7 fruit vendors who all wanted to charge me 120 rupees for a kilogram of pomegranates. I mean, definitely not a big deal, just sort of interesting. And I'm not sure what to make of it.

Paying the higher price is fine-- I'm sure it benefits the vendors business. It's interesting that every fruit vendor charged us the same higher price. And those vendors let us walk away when we refused to pay the 120 rupees instead of taking a lower price, when I still offered more than the standard price. Perhaps one of those things that makes perfect sense to everyone here and I haven't even come close to figuring out...

Bottom line-- I paid. And the fruit is fresh and sweet.

Either way, we found a few really neat back streets and alley ways. They were narrow and winding, and full of store fronts and people. Much less crowded, but still so full of life. Many places were playing music (very, very loud music), which perfectly complemented the street sounds and smells and overall bustle.


No comments:

Post a Comment